Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
|Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks|
Taking place after the 10th generation Mortal Kombat tournement. Shaolin Monk Liu Kang and his partner Kung Lao find to make their way off of Shang Tsung's island. As they along with Johnny Cage and Sonya received medals for a job well done back at the Wu-Shi Acadamy, the Tarkatans attacked the acadamy. As the Earthrealm warriors fight to fend off this new attack, Sonya is captured. Now, Liu kang and Kung Lao were instructed by Raiden to head to Outworld to rescue Sonya. But they will also have to fight the deadly Outworld warriors in order to save her. They might even fight against Shang Tsung and his master, the Outworld emperor Shao Kahn.
The gameplay of this game is different from the average fighting game. You play as either Liu Kang or Kung Lao (or Scorpion and Sub-Zero after unlocking them) and you fight monsters as well as other fighters to gain experience points and purchase new moves. You can perform Fatalities, Multalities and Brutalities as well. Some of the other existing Mortal Kombat characters are seen as supporting characters or bosses.
 Playable Characters
- Liu Kang
- Kung Lao
- Scorpion (unlockable)
- Sub-Zero (unlockable)
- Johnny Cage (1-on-1 only)
- Baraka (1-on-1 only)
- Reptile (1-on-1 only)
- Kitana (1-on-1 only)
 Story Alterations
There are notable alterations to the original story of the game. This catagory *will* contain spoilers. Do not read unless you already played the game or want to know more about this game.
- 1. Kung Lao is seen to have fought in the 10th Mortal Kombat (as depicted in the opening cinematic scene). Though in the original story Kung Lao is dead and revived by Raiden before the warriors' venturing to Outworld. Furthermore he is jealous and envious of Liu Kang's abilities. Making Kung Lao like Luigi to Liu Kang's Mario and would tease Liu Kang from time to time in some parts of the game. In the original story, Kung Lao is good to Liu Kang and an honorable fighter.
- 2. Like in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, Raiden has stated that he has no powers in Outworld. In the original story Raiden can use his powers just as he can in Earthrealm.
- 3. Reptile stated that he does not serve Shang Tsung. In the original story, Reptile in fact *did* serve Shang Tsung as a secret advisor. Furthermore, he appeared like he did in Mortal Kombat: Deception and Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, in the original story he appeared just like Sub-Zero and Scorpion did.
- 4. Liu Kang's appearence was like he did in Mortal Kombat 3. In the original story he appeared with short hair, no arm bands, no bandana and plain black Kung-Fu pants (just like his inspriation, Bruce Lee). It was not until Mortal Kombat 2 that Liu Kang would wear his Black-Red striped Kung-Fu pants, his red bandana and his arm bands and Mortal Kombat 3 with his long hair. Furthermore, he was present at the Wu-Shi Acadamy as the Tarkatan hordes attacked, in the original story the Tarkatans attacked in Liu Kang's abscence giving him the motivation he needs to venture to Outworld. Furthermore, he only defeats Shang Tsung in the opening scene and not Goro, in the original story Liu Kang defeats Goro before he fights Shang Tsung. Furthermore, he seems to develop a romantic interest in Kitana (as Kung Lao would occaisonally tease Liu Kang about in the game), in the original story Liu Kang's duties as member of the White Lotus Society along with continuing the traditions of his shaolin temples and Kitana's duties as princess of Edenia prevents the 2 to become remantically involed with each other (though this may be a homage to the Mortal Kombat movie where Liu Kang and Kitana become romantically involved with each other).
- 5. Johnny Cage appeared that he knew what to do around the Wu-Shi Acadamy. This has not been determined in the original story. But because Cage went back to the United States after the tournament, he did not even set foot into the Wu-Shi Acadamy. Furthermore, Cage kills Goro (this might be a homage to the Mortal Kombat movie where Cage does the same exact thing). Furthermore Johnny Cage survives Outworld, in the original story he dies at the hands of Baraka.
- 6. Shang Tsung mostly appears like he did in Mortal Kombat, and uses his ability to change into anybody to trick both Liu Kang and Kung Lao to restore his youth and power, in the original story Shao Kahn grants him his youth and power along with a second chance to eliminate the Earthrealm warriors.
- 7. As Liu Kang and Kung Lao venture to Outworld. They kill off Shao Kahn's minions which are Jade, Reptile, Baraka, Kano, Goro, Shang Tsung, Kintaro and eventually Shao Kahn himself, in the original story (with the exception of Mileena, who was eventually brought back by Shang Tsung) none of these evil characters die. They all survived.
- 8. The Warrior's Shrine is in the Wu-Shi Acadamy. In the original story it is on Shang Tsung's island.
- 9. Scorpion and Ermac are shown as evil characters. In the original story they are neutral characters.
- 10. Smoke is seen helping out Liu Kang and Kung Lao (which sets the stage for the secret missions in the game). In the original story, Smoke maintained a low profile and is a member of the Lin Kuei.
- 11. Kitana seems to already know about her past when Liu Kang and Kung Lao encounter her at the Evil sky tower and is under some kind of spell by Shao Kahn (along with Mileena and Jade). In the original story, Kitana was raised by Shao Kahn (along with Mileena and Jade) and her fight with Liu Kang has set her on a mission to discover her past. Furthermore, she appears like she does in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 with her hair in a bun and a revealing ninja assassin outfit, she had her hair down and had a less revealing ninja assassin outfit.
- 12. Quan Chi appears as he did in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance and holding the sacred amulet (though it is determined that Quan Chi had the amulet during these events) as if to have just obtained it. In the original story the amulet was in Earthrealm and Sub-Zero helped Quan Chi obtain the amulet. Furthermore Quan Chi's appearence was supposedly a sign of the events of Deadly Alliance is about to unfold. In the original story, Shang Tsung was a part of the deadly alliance. So the alliance would not come to be if Shang Tsung were to die.
Related ThreadsMortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks Full Information Thread - last post by @ Sep 19, 2005
how can i unlock MK2 in Shaolin Monks - last post @ Oct 25, 2014
Need Shaolin monks help? Look no further - last post by @ Dec 1, 2008
Playable shaolin monks demo and MORE - last post by @ Aug 13, 2005
Shaolin Monks action figures - last post by @ Aug 10, 2005