|Mortal Kombat: Deception|
Mortal Kombat: Deception is the 6th game in the main series. It was released for Playstation 2 and Xbox in October 4th, 2004 in North America. It was later released on GameCube in February 28th, 2005 in North America. An updated version of the game, entitled Mortal Kombat: Unchained was later release on Playstation Portable in November 13, 2006 in North America.
 New characters
- Ashrah - A demon of the Netherealm seeking redemption by using a holy sword, named Kriss, to slay demons. With each demon slain her soul is purified a little more. She seeks to kill Noob Saibot knowing that vanquishing his evil will complete her purification.
- Dairou - Dairou, once a highly respected Seidan guard of the Orderrealm, turned from his job to become a mercenary for hire. His current mission, given to him by Darrius, is to kill Hotaru.
- Darrius - The leader of the resistance in Seido, the realm of Order.
- Havik - Havik, hailing from the Chaosrealm, is neither good nor evil, allying himself with whoever will further his aims or causing chaos. In Deception he opposes Onaga, as his reign would enforce order.
- Hotaru - A warrior from Orderrealm, pledged to serve the Dragon King.
- Kira - A cunning and brutal new Black Dragon recruit recently hired by Kabal. Her fighting styles and special moves are taken from Sonya and Kano.
- Kobra - The second new recruit for the new Black Dragon clan, led by Kabal.
- Onaga - The Dragon King and former emperor of Outworld, reincarnated by using Reptile as a vessel.
- Shujinko - An old warrior who was deceived by Onaga into aiding his resurrection when he was a young adolescent. Onaga (under the guise of Damashi) gave him the power to mimic the abilities of his opponents.
 Returning characters
- Baraka - The leader of the Tarkatan race.
- Bo' Rai Cho - Hailing from Outworld, Bo' Rai Cho trains warriors of Earthrealm for the Mortal Kombat Tournament. Included in his long list of students are Liu Kang, Kung Lao and Shujinko.
- Ermac - A mysterious fighter made of fused souls. Once a puppet of evil now given free-will, he assists Liu Kang in his mission to act as a force of good.
- Jade - A loyalist to Queen Sindel who saved her from Onaga, afterwards aiding her mission to save Edenia in an attempt to save her childhood friend, Kitana, and kill the traitor of Edenia, Tanya.
- Kabal - After being saved by Havik, Kabal created the new Black Dragon clan to cause anarchy in Earthrealm.
- Kenshi - The blind swordsman who was saved by Sub-Zero, now working with the Outer World Investigation Agency.
- Li Mei - A young warrior saved from the Deadly Alliance by Bo' Rai Cho.
- Liu Kang - Earthrealm's protector, the undisputed Champion of Mortal Kombat, returns as a zombie (unlock-able through Krypt-Key).
- Mileena - A part-Tarkatan clone of Kitana, created by Shang Tsung for Shao Kahn, who poses as Kitana to disrupt Edenia's defences.
- Nightwolf - A Native American warrior who acts as the "Sin Eater" of his tribe, allowing him to enter the Netherealm due to the "sins" in his soul.
- Noob-Smoke (The alliance of Noob Saibot and Smoke) - The joint team in which Noob Saibot looks to create an army of Cyber-Demons with Smoke as a template. They are the first humanoid sub-boss in the series. Deception officially revealed Saibot as the original Sub-Zero.
- Raiden - The God of Thunder who has become enraged at how mortals have repeatedly endangered Earthrealm.
- Scorpion - The true Champion of the Elder Gods who has been sent to Outworld to destroy Onaga.
- Sindel - The Queen of Edenia who looks to save Kitana and defend her realm from Shao Kahn.
- Sub-Zero - The Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei clan seeking to prove himself worthy of his title by defeating Onaga and saving Earthrealm.
- Tanya - The traitor of Edenia, now serving Onaga.
The GameCube version has two more playable characters: